Sunday, September 7, 2008

Program Part

Here is a first draft of my part for the program. I'll spend more time cleaning it up later. I just wanted to get going on our parts so they will be ready for Thursday's practice. I would love any suggestions you have. I was a science major so I wouldn't have to write papers. For those of you with writing experience, feel free to fix things. Thanks! Shauna

This part will be right after singing "Beautiful Child" and before "Innkeeper's Carol."

Our Savior's birth took place in such humble circumstances. We now live in a modern world filled with items to make life more enjoyable. For me, one of those “enjoyable” items is the rocking chair my husband and I bought before we had our first baby. One day I was moving the chair and came across a note that said the chair was guaranteed for 1 million rocks. I value every one of those "one million rocks." I can't count the number of nights I spent sleeping in the chair, holding a nursing baby. Or the rocks I spent laboring through the night with our first baby.
This last song we will sing to you has special meaning to me. I spent several nights singing this song while rocking my baby. I didn't sing to every baby. Matthew is the only one I can remember. He would lay on my shoulder and look up to request the baby song. I would begin with the beautiful message that played out through song of the story of looking in on our Savior's birth. As I rocked my baby I would think of the wonder of that moment. What would it have been like to witness the birth of our Savior? Were we allowed to peek in and view our Savior as a mortal or did we have to wait for the account of those who were there?
As I rocked my baby I realized the wonder of life continued and was due to the beauty of that little baby I was singing about. Our Savior came to earth to provide joy to our lives. He gave us everything, our earth, life, and the ability to cleanse ourselves and come together again as families. As we close, we invite you to reflect on His gift.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Shauna, This is beautiful. It goes well with the songs and reflects so well on the true meaning of Christmas.

Larna.

Kerstin said...

Sounds great to me!
Kerstin

Shelli said...

I love it! I like how you talk about your rocking chair -- I think that's something that others can relate to as well. May I offer a couple of suggestions on little changes?
1) You talk of singing to a baby and then mention that the BABY asks for the song. Can you just clarify that as he grew to a TODDLER, he'd request it. I think that will make more sense to the listener.
2) I love how you talk about peeking in on the scene of Christ's birth. Can we add part of that to the last question? Something like "LOOK at Christ's life and reflect . . ." then end with the invitation to reflect. The peeking in and the looking make sense to me before the reflecting.

Amy K said...

I like it! I never knew you chose your major to AVOID writing papers! Classic.
My only comment is that it might be kind of long to memorize. However, I think as you share your personal experience that it will be more natural and not so "rehearsed" and will come across beautifully. So whatever words you share at "the moment" those will be the right words our audience needs to hear. :)

Annalise said...

Shelli,
I didn't sing to Matthew until he was a year old and not nursing to sleep. My 1 year olds are still babies to me. I've been blessed with early speakers at my house. Matthew was requesting this song when he was one. I don't think I will be able to explain that to the audience. I'll think about my wording a little more. Thanks for the suggestions. It's nice to hear from another point of view.

Annalise said...

Sorry everyone, I did it again and made a comment as Annalise. Oops! I'm at piano lessons. Annalise didn't rock Matthew when he was one! It was me. I'm still too lazy to log in as myself so I'm still posting as Annalise.
Shauna

Shelli said...

I got it -- Derek is still a baby to me even though he's growing so big. I tell all of my kids that they're all my babies. Have you read the book I'll love you always (I think that's the title). It goes: "I'll love you always. Forever and ever, my baby you'll be." It's a tender book.
** You could say "little one" -- I also agree with Amy that how you tell it each performance will be perfect (for that set of listeners).